Aggressive or Reactive?

Do you think your dog is aggressive when they see another dog and you’re afraid to take them out in public? They may just be “reactive.” Our 4-week Reactive Dog class is the class for you. Skills will be taught to create an environment for you and your dog that makes it a pleasure to take them for a walk. The last class will be a field trip to Lake Ella where your dog will encounter ducks, geese, other dogs, many people, musicians, joggers, and more. You will use the skills you learned in class out in the public.

At Home Veterinary Care offers a variety of classes year round to meet your training needs and make your pet a valuable family member while having fun and interactive training sessions. Our state of the art facility offers a 2,000 square foot training room and large outdoor agility field.

Besides year-round training classes, At Home Veterinary Care also has a Wet and Wonderful Dog Splash Park with a zero entry Splash Pad and attached Lazy River, as well as over 48,000 square feet of outdoor dry play space.

Call At Home Veterinary Care (or visit our website at www.AtHomeVet.Care to register) on any class you are interested in. A member of our training team will contact you and discuss the class, answer your questions, and get your enrolled! Classes will be scheduled when a minimum of 5 dogs have been enrolled. Call 850-274-5710 today to see what class is right for you and your dog.

It’s Time to Board!

The Holiday Season is Almost Here!

We offer you the peace of mind that we’ll be there when you can’t be. Call us today to reserve your pet’s stay and play for the holidays or anytime you’ll be away for the day or longer.

Use the promo code at the bottom of the flyer shown below and your pet can receive upgrades on Playcare and Staycare, including free pool time!

Contact us today to reserve a space for your furry friends. Continue reading

New Article for Tallahassee Family: Safe Holidays for Everyone

As some of you know Dr. Blount is a regular contributor to Tallahassee Family magazine. We asked and got permission from the magazine to post her articles on our site. So this is the first look at her new article, which may look a bit different from the one that is eventually published, but it will still have the same information.

Safe Holiday’s for Everyone

By Elizabeth D. Blount DVM

 

The holidays mean parties and presents and busy schedules for everyone. We want to bring our pets into the festivities: dress them up for Halloween, have them open presents with the rest of the family; maybe sneak a few scraps from the Thanksgiving table. However; some holiday traditions are dangerous for pets. Chocolate in Halloween and Christmas candy sickens small dogs easily. Chewing on crimson Christmas Poinsettias can cripple a cat. Raisins in Thanksgiving stuffing and desserts damages a dog’s liver. Things that are easily digested by humans will trigger an emergency vet visit and transform nights spent with family and friends into a mad dash to save the family Shih Tzu.

Pets are such a part of everyday lives and so dear to families that it is easy to forget one of the most crucial things about them: that they are not people. They have a digestive system that has not developed in the same way that ours has. They have a unique system that requires special care from their human companions to assure that they do not break into the bag of grapes or snack on Easter Lilies or chew off the bows on Christmas packages. This means that pet guardians must educate themselves on potential dangers at home. Careful attention is needed because we do not think that coffee or garlic are unsafe and it is easy to forget that they can be.

In veterinary medicine we gear up for vomiting, diarrhea and pancreatitis that can result from sharing a meal of leftovers and gravy with your dog. These items are not part of their normal diet and upsets their tummy.  Most ground meats today are contaminated with bacteria like E. coli and Salmonella, so feeding raw or undercooked meat, eggs or those juicy bones give pets more than bargained for.

Most accidental poisonings in pets come from swallowing human medication.  Cats are infinitely sensitive to minor amounts, more so than dogs. I recently treated a cat who ate a tablet of a guest’s heart medication in the home of a client.  Their cat went into kidney failure within 24 hours: no veterinarian could save him. Tylenol is particularly nasty; it is deadly to cats and toxic to dogs in small doses.  Antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, sleep aids, vitamins and medications for ADHD are all problematic.

Holiday decorations and plants look interesting to our furry family too.  Strings, buckles, bangles and beads are shiny and smell like their favorite people. Cats love to bat ornaments off the Christmas tree, but broken glass cuts little paws; holiday candles burn off cats’ whiskers. An elephantine dog curled up under the branches of our Christmas tree: making the entire thing topple over when he crawled out. Any pet eating string or ribbon usually results in an emergency situation.

Our pets bring such joy to our lives and families.  We want them to share the holiday fun. A few moments looking over our home and activities for potential dangers to furry family members keeps them safe and happy for everyone.

 

 

Dr. Elizabeth Blount is the Medical Director and CEO of At Home Veterinary Care Center in Tallahassee, the Big Bend’s most comprehensive pet care facility.